Monday, October 20, 2008

The Presidential Race- how will you accept the final decision?

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past 18 months, you realize that we have 2 main options for President of the United States of America.

How do you decide who to vote for? How do you prioritize the issues? I think about national security, the economy, taxes. I think about social security although I am only 36 and don't believe it will be there when I am 70. Of course social security was set up to be 1 tool for retirement income, not the whole enchilada. I think a little about healthcare. I have had health insurance my whole life (except for ages 22-25 when I thought i was invincible and didn't want to fork out the dollars for it). I sought out jobs that had healthcare as a benefit.

The older issues of abortion, the death penalty,etc.. don't get much press. With the war, the economy crisis and immigration concerns, the next president will have his hands full.

DOES IT REALLY MATTER? If your pick doesn't get into the white house, will it affect your spiritual health, your physical/mental/emotional health, your family's health? Will you complain and moan about the new president and his decisions. Will you not show respect to the office of the presidency. If you have children, they will see this. They learn from watching us. Our friends will also see us latching our happiness onto a man. No matter who gets into the White House, he will let us down at some point. Hey- we all make mistakes.

I have resolved myself to live my life the same, be grateful for the same blessings God has given me, handle the challenges of life the same way no matter who makes it into the White House.

Can we get too emotionally tied into a presidential race?

2 comments:

James Nored said...

Hi Matt. I see you have a new post!

Yes, while I am very interested in the election, I must remind myself that no matter what happens, God is in control. We will still be able to show Christ to people, not matter who wins.

Anonymous said...

Right. We are in a "fool's paradise" when we think that by electing someone to the white house, we will be on our way to the utopia. Matt