Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pig Poop & other stuff

My wife, Jennifer, had gotten a haircut. She went quite a bit shorter than usual. I took our 3 daughters to Iowa (on the farm) for the weekend to give Jen time with her college friends. They have an annual girls weekend. When we got home, my 5-old daughter looked at her mom's haircut. She exclaimed, "Well-- I guess I can get use to it. I did get use to the smell of pig poop.

Anyone who has been raised on a farm, lived in a rural community or visited a farm knows that there are many odors which can be encountered. My girls would mention the smell of the pigs every time we went outside. After a few days, they didn't mention it anymore. They were used to it.

A few years ago, my oldest daughter (then age 3), wanted to do something with our neighbor friends. I asked her if she would jump off a cliff if Curtis and Cara did. She replied, "Yes, if I had my swimsuit on."

What have I learned? Kids say the darndest things. Ok, Art Linkletter popularized that statement. There is some wisdom though in some of the things our kids say.
1. PPP- (pig poop principle): Not everything in life is easy and fun. Suck it up and get through it. After awhile, it will be no big deal.
2. CJP- (Cliff Jumping Principle): Always consider your options.


What are some funny or unexpected statements you've heard from kids?

5 comments:

MarcKimVasquez said...

Couple of things man. First, that is high-larious that I'm guessing Ann Marie said that. Good stuff man. We'll make sure to help her remember that when she graduates from high school.

Unexpectedly, my son decided today (of all days) to say his first word clear as a bell, and repeat it over and over and over and over again. . . "da-da."

I think I'll be sleeping outside tonight and hope he says "ma-ma" on Father's Day. . .

amybrusven said...

Too funny! I, of course, cannot recall anything specific but I am certainly amazed how my son, Sam, will say such grown up things. He does tell me quite often that if I don't start listening to him I will need to go into the corner for a timeout. HA! He knows the real scoop-I tell myself it is multi-tasking and my son calls it not listening. Oh--I just remmembered that he told me he got into trouble at school because he was hitting; but it wasn't him hitting--it was just his hands and fingers. They weren't litening to the teacher.

Anonymous said...

Marc- great for you as a "dada" to hear thoat first word. We never fully appreciate our hearing ability until we hear our child say "dada", "mama" or "i love you" or a friend or spouse tell us what we mean to them.

Matt B

Anonymous said...

Amy= sounds like you have an attorney on your hands. A friend of ours suggested we start a journal for each child. Jen writes in each one about every few days. I write in them once a week or so. Fun to look back in the journals.

Matt B

jdog said...

the other day I fell in pig poop and my oldest daughter said "dad, why did you fall" and I said "so you wouldn't have to", now taking a bullet is a different story