Thursday, April 17, 2008

Clinton VS. Obama- Who won? Is Faith a deciding factor?

Last night, I watched the Democratic Debate between Senator Clinton and Senator Obama. The debate started off with a 45 minute barrage of questions about Obama's statements about people being bitter and clinging to guns and religion, his relationship with his pastor, his relationship with a professor who was part of a bombing 40 years ago and a few other items.

The debate is being hailed as one of the worst, if not THE worst debate ever. While I believe anyone running for President should be fully researched, I care more about their previous voting patterns, philosophy of governing and ideas for how to manage the war, spur on the economy and help me keep more of my hard earned dollars.

Our presidents have always had a link to a certain church- many have been protestants and JFK was Catholic. While Ronald Regan was heralded as the best president by many conservatives (many of which are Christians), Nancy Reagan consulted astrologists. This is never talked about by Christian Republicans.

I would like to have a president that believed exactly like me, but is that realistic. His/her philosophy and ideas and pattern for success matter more to me than what church he goes to. Even if a policitican is a "member" of a church, what does that prove?



First Question: Who do you think won the debate?
Second Question: Is a person's religious doctrine/association more important to you than their stance on the issues? Would you vote for someone of your faith even if you disagreed with them on the issues??

2 comments:

amybrusven said...

I don't believe either candidate won the debate--and it only proves why I am having issues with all of them. I am rather tired of the religious side of politics. Politics should not be a platform to air your beliefs--that is why Bible Study was created. If you have a strong ethical and moral base, no matter what your religion, you will make decisions that reflect that. Start looking at decisions, speeches and history of the candidate--their true ethics always shine in those actions.

Matt B said...

Amy-
I understand your frustration, both with the "debate" nonissues and the amount of time that is spent on a candidate's religion. Mitt Romney spent alot of time answering questions about his Mormon faith. Barack Obama is getting the questions about his former pastor. You are right about the importance of looking at past decisions and the history. Thanks for joining me on this ride. I look forward to your thoughts on all issues.